Meet Emily, an Online Personal Fitness Coach who started her own business organically while in college. She is inspired to follow her dreams, help others, and live the best life she can. You’ll love her entrepreneur spirit!
Tell us about your business.
EMPOPFITNESS is an online personal coaching business with an emphasis on health, wellness, and fitness. I coach women remotely on a platform that delivers customized workouts, nutritional guidance, educational videos, healthful recipes and more!
THE EARLY DAYS
Describe your childhood in one word. Creative.
Describe your childhood personality in one word. Bold.
When you were a little girl what career did you dream of having “when you grow up”?
I never had a specific idea of what I wanted to be. I knew I had to be creative and use my skills to create something wonderful.
What was your first job?
I started working around the age of 12, I self-published and ran my own magazine company.
THE LEARNING YEARS
Where did you attend college? What’s your degree?
I attended the University of Wisconsin Stout and attained a Bachelor’s degree in Health, Wellness & Fitness with a concentration in Wellness Promotion.
What was your first job out of college?
Personal training and health coaching
List your jobs until you started your own business.
Personal trainer/health coach, Store Clerk, Retail Buyer, Director of Online Media, Photographer, Fitness Instructor
THE ENTREPRENEURIAL YEARS
What year did you decide to start your own business?
I never had one defining moment of “I’ll start on this date”… it started slowly and naturally while I was at University.
Why did you decide you wanted to start your own business?
I come from a family of entrepreneurs, and I knew I wanted to follow in their footsteps and become my own boss. I always felt that the skills I possess could benefit many lives, and if I stayed silent I would be doing the world a disservice.
How is your business different today than when you first started?
When I first started, I felt like I never had a concrete plan in place. After many years of working at it and curating, I have a solid game plan now.
What three lessons have you learned running your own business?
- You must have tough skin. Not everyone will love you or what you do, and that’s ok.
- “Rome wasn’t built in a day” needs to be a tattoo on your arm… Joking aside, growing your business can be a mental challenge when you constantly put in time but don’t always see results.
- Hiring a mentor who’s been where you are is the biggest favor you can do for yourself.
What’s next for your business?
My top 3 goals are:
- Continue to change lives through my coaching.
- Create video content for my following.
- Read more books (this is an ongoing goal of mine).
What’s your strongest skill set that’s helped you succeed?
Being forever tenacious.
On this journey, who have been your three most supportive people?
- My dad, who is my angel, still continues to inspire me daily. Growing up, I studied his work ethic, which drives me to perform at the same level. He was my biggest cheerleader and strongest support through challenging times.
- My mom, who shows me that you don’t just throw in the towel when the going gets tough. She is great at listening to me while I work through my business difficulties.
- My boyfriend, who also owns his own business. He understands the importance of hard work and dedication. He is great at building me up giving me a confidence boost when I need it most.
THE BUMPS IN THE ROAD
Have you had any hardships or setbacks in your business or personal life?
I had a period where I didn’t have a clear picture of how I wanted to live my life. I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my future and it was exhausting. During that time, my dad passed away, which snapped me out of my funk. I wouldn’t let my dad’s passing set me back, instead, I used it as fuel to propel me forward. I learned that down times aren’t necessarily bad if used to self-reflect. You must keep moving forward no matter what.
ALL ABOUT YOU
Did you always dream of owning your own business or was it a surprise on your career path?
I have always dreamed of being my own boss. Making an impact, setting my hours, creating my own content, and receiving compensation for it all is such a thrill.
What are your hobbies outside of work?
I enjoy reading, eating, exercising, and traveling.
Describe your career path to-date in one word?
I love working in my community, whether it’s donating to the food shelf, ringing bells for the local Salvation Army, or donating to various high school sports. I like to work/donate locally and watch my efforts make an impact.
Age you’d like to retire at?
Never. I’m creating a life that I don’t need to retire from.
Travel location on your bucket list?
Introvert or Extrovert?
Night owl or early bird?
Can I be both?
Like reading career path stories? Sign-up for the Her Own Path Insider below.